Support for Windows Home Editions in UM
Is User Management supported under Windows 7 and Windows 10 "Home" editions?
The Client portion of User Management is supported on Windows "Home" editions and will install without issue. The Server components are not directly supported as they require IIS (Internet Information Services) components that are not part of Windows Home editions by default. Additionally, It is not recommended that Home editions be used for the Server components as the Home editions do not support the following:
- Home editions cannot be joined to an Active Directory domain.
- A number of IIS security features are not supported in the Home editions.
- There is no ability to manage print services in the Home editions.
Installing User Management Server Components on Windows 10 Home
The Server Components of User Management may be installed on Windows 10 Home versions. The following steps must be performed in order to ensure that User Management will install correctly under Windows 10 Home.
1. Add IIS Components through Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off. Select "Internet Information Services".
2. The following command MUST be run in order to add "Windows Authentication" to the Windows 10 Home IIS installation. To run the command, a Command prompt (DOS prompt) must be opened "As Administrator".
dism /online /norestart /add-package:%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IIS-WebServer-AddOn-2-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.16299.15.mum
PLEASE NOTE: Filename above may be slightly different since it's based on system bitness and version.
3. If the command runs successfully, go back into Control Panel --> Programs and Features --> Turn Windows features on or off. Under World Wide Web Services --> Security, check "Windows Authentication". Click OK.
4. Install User Management 7.0.28. This must be installed prior to installing User Management 7.1.x. A copy of UM 7.0.28 may be downloaded from the following URL:
5. Install User Management 7.1.x. You will be prompted to upgrade. Accept and perform the upgrade.
6. When running the UM Administrator for the first time, select Peer to Peer as the network type. Active Directory is NOT supported by Microsoft Windows 10 Home versions.
How did we do with this article?