Configuring IIS(II6)/.NET 4 for Windows 2003/Vista
Please note that this document is meant as an aid to installing and configuring IIS 6/.NET 4 for use with Print Audit Secure Server rather than a step by step guide. The actual sequence of steps will depend on the components installed on the server and the order in which they have been installed. Modifications to an existing IIS installation should be done by a qualified administrator.
ASP.NET 4.0 Framework
Please Note: You should install IIS before installing .NET Framework 4. If you installed IIS after installing .NET Framework 4, then you must register ASP.NET 4.0 with IIS. To do this:
- Open a Command prompt window by using the Run As Administrator option
- Run the following command:
cd "C:\<WINDOWS DIRECTORY>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\" and run “aspnet_regiis -ir"
Even when installing .NET Framework before IIS, sometimes .NET will have to be registered with IIS. If .NET 4 is not found in the ISAPI and CGI configuration section of IIS 6, then .NET will have to be registered. NET 4 Framework may require that the Windows Imaging Component be installed as a prerequisite of .NET Framework depending on the versions of Windows you are installing .NET 4 Framework on. These are basic instructions for installing and configuring IIS and .NET Framework 4 for use with Print Audit Secure. Some of the components may already be installed depending on the environment.
Installing ASP.NET 4.0 Framework
The .NET Framework is made up of the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and .NET Framework 4 Extended components that exist separately in Programs and Features. .NET Framework 4 Extended must be installed for ASP.NET applications to run. To determine if the necessary .NET 4 items are installed:
- Go to Control Panel
- Go to Add/Remove Programs
- Look for the following Microsoft .NET Framework items.
IIS 6 Installation and Configuration - Server 2003/Vista
There are two methods for installing IIS on Server 2003/Vista - using Administrative Tools or Add/Remove Programs. Note: Both methods of installation may require the Windows Operation System installation disk.
- Go to "Start Menu"
- Select "Administrative Tools"
- Select "Manage Your Server"
- Click on "Add or remove a role"
- Click "Next" on the Configure Your Server Wizard.
- Select "Application server (IIS, ASP.NET)" from the Server Role. Click "Next".
- Select "Enable ASP.NET" from the Application Server Options. Click "Next".
- Click Next on the Summary of Selections.
- Go to "Start Menu"
- Select Control Panel
- Select "Add/Remove Programs"
- Select "Add/Remove Windows Components"
- Select "Application Server" from the Windows Components. Click Next.
Installing Print Audit Secure Server
When running the Print Audit Secure Server installation file, right click on the executable and chose “RunAs”. Uncheck the “Run this program with restricted access”. If the install is run with restricted access, a number of components may not install properly and may have insufficient rights assigned to the Print Audit Secure Server directories.
Configuring IIS 6 for Use with Print Audit Secure Server
Starting IIS 6:
- Start Menu
- All Programs
- Administrative Tools
- Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
Enable ASP.NET v4.0.30319:
- Select Web Service Extensions.
- Highlight ASP.NET v4.0.30319
- Click on "Allow"
Note: If ASP.NET v4.0.30319 does not show in the Web Service Extensions, you will need to close IIS 6, verify that ASP.NET v4.0.30319 is installed and register it with IIS as per the ASP.NET v4.0.30319 Framework section above.
Set Print Audit Secure Server to Use ASP.NET v4.0.30319:
- Locate the PASecure website in IIS. By default, this is under the "Default Web Site".
- Highlight "PASecure"
- Right Click and chose "Properties"
- Click on the "ASP.NET' tab
- From the ASP.NET version dropdown, select "4.0.30319" and click Apply
Print Audit Secure will create its own Application Pool. You can verify that the Application Pool is running by right clicking on "PASAppPool". If the Application Pool is running, the "Start" option will be greyed out.
Verifying Print Audit Secure Server and IIS/.Net Installation
To verify that the installation and configuration are correct:
- Open a web browser on the server.
- Type "localhost/pasecure" in the address bar.
- The "Configure Print Audit Secure" web page should display.
How did we do with this article?